Thursday, February 9, 2012

CMTC-Sao Paulo bus history

CMTC stands for Compania Municipal de Transportes Coletivos

HERE  is a cool video of Sao Paulo's Public Transportation Museum, it is located walking distance from the city's largest bus station "RODOVIARIA DO TIETE".
I know Tom Le Mesurier, from Eat Rio should get a kick out of all this, I heard he loves buses, and I am a big bus nerd as well!!!  ;)

Folks,

Here is a little about the history of Sao Paulo and it's buses, since 1946, when CMTC was founded, until 1995 when it was closed.
If you grew up in Sao Paulo like Gil and I, subway and buses were a big part of your life.
A couple of posts ago, "HERE" I described my adventures with my dear grandma, riding the bus all the way downtown Sao Paulo from our little corner of the metropolitan area.
I also always took buses to school and to swimming classes and everywhere else I had to go.
I didn't like buses too much, mainly because they were always packed with people and we had to stand up.
But I have to say I got a little emotional when I watched this short video, buses were a HUGE part of my life and Gil's life as well.
This video shows buses we saw when growing up and buses my mother, grandmother and her mother took when they went downtown Sao Paulo in the 30's, 40's and 50's.
Yes, before you ask, Sao Paulo had double decker buses in the late 80's all the way thru the 90's. I am not sure if they still have them around the city, but they had a hard time with them because Sao Paulo is too hilly and that was hard on these buses engines.
Mayor Janio Quadros loved the double deckers from London and he brought the idea to Sao Paulo, they even painted them red.
I know there are HUGE cool double deckers for intercity travel around Brazil but I am not sure if the city's double deckers are still around.

Hope you enjoy!!!
 
:)


6 comments:

Tom Le Mesurier said...

Ah, what a cool video! I love those really old ones that are all angular. They look a bit like they were designed by a kid with a ruler! And the double deckers are/were cool too.

When we went back to London, my wife was very keen to take a ride on the top deck of a double-decker - they are kind of fun, especially if you can get a seat at the front! :D

Renato S. Alves said...

Nossa que vídeo legal. Lembrei de muitas coisas da minha infância e adolescência em SP. Eu também não gostava de ônibus não porque sempre foi muito difícil para a população usar. Sempre lotados.
Quantas vezes eu não consegui sair no meu ponto e depois ter que andar tudo de volta.
Obrigado pelo vídeo!
Abs

American Heart Brazilian Soul said...

Tom,

My first time in Lonon we stayed at a Hotel in Mada Vale, so we could walk down Abby Road and go see the studios where the Beattles recorded their music and we were riding the double deckers everywhere, and like your wife, I was dragging Gil upstairs and wanted the front seats!! :)
We had awesome views of the city. I love London, it's one of my favorite vacation destinations.


Ray

American Heart Brazilian Soul said...

Renato,

Entao, eu tambem, pegava todo dia para ir a escola. Um vez meu pe ficou preso na multidao quando tentava sair do onibus, acabei descendo com um pe so de meia, mas o alguem na multidao pegou meu tenis e jogou pela janela... :)
Tenho tantas aventuras de onibus que poderia escrever um livro!

Bom te ver por aqui

Forte abraco
Ray

Tom Le Mesurier said...

Ah, that's a really nice part of town. Did I mention before that I worked at Abbey Road Studios for my final 2 years in London? It's an amazing place! Did you take a photo of yourself on the zebra crossing? :)

American Heart Brazilian Soul said...

Tom,

WOW!! That is awesome that you worked there!!
We loved that part of town, we walked a lot and admired many quaint little streets, lot's of beautiful gardens, lot's of nice flowers. I would LOVE to have a house there!
We tried to take a picture at the Zebra crossing but there were so many tourists (it was Spring) that Gil panicked and dragged me away, he hates crowds, and we were supposed to go back later and didn't have time. Great excuse to go back ;)
I LOVE LOVE London, my favorite vacation spot. So much to see, so little time.

Ray