Thursday, November 25, 2010

An interesting coment by Fabio Brossard

Folks, after reading a comment from a reader and fellow blogger, Fabio Brossard, I felt the need to write a short post to clarify a few things...

This is Fabio's comment below:

"So Ray is Brazilian!
I always thought you were American because of your perfect English or how you referred to yourself as American.
I am also sorry to hear your story. It's sad that you had to leave your country because some people can't accept you for who you are. But luckily you found a new home in a different land.
Success!"
November 25, 2010 7:07 PM
Delete






Below is my reply to Fabio, which should make a few things clear, first an most important, I am Brazilian, born in the town of Sao Bernardo do Campo, a city in the metropolitan region of Sao Paulo city.
I am very proud of my state and city, however I am Americanized beyond repair  : ) 
Not that is it is a bad thing to be Americanized, it actually is what it is and I am also proud of my new life and my new country which I love to no end!
We actually proudly display an American flag in front of our home, which has stayed illuminated all night, every night since the day we bought our house in May of 2003. 

Blogger Gil and Ray said...

Fabio,

Thanks for your kind words, I think my English is far from perfect, it's actually a work in progress.
I just would like to make it clear that I never mentioned my nationality as being American to deceive anyone, I really am naturalized American citizen and today I do identify more with the United States than with Brazil, I do feel almost like a foreigner when visiting my family in Sao Paulo, I know it sounds strange but it is our reality.
However, yes, I was born in Brazil and I am very proud to be a Paulista da gema, born in Sao Bernardo do Campo "Terra Matter" ;)
I have been in the US off and on since I was 17 years old, High School, College and University, that has helped me understand the culture very well and at times sound like a native.
It was sad to have to leave Sao Paulo for the reasons we left, because we were happy in Brazil, we had a good life and a future and we had to give that up along with family and friends because of homophobia, we were tired, we came in search of peace of mind.
However it could have been worse, my relatives escaped religious persecution in France for being Jews, they had a much tougher time than we could even comprehend, but that is subject for another post perhaps. However I tend to see the cup half full, always.
Welcome to our blog, I hope you enjoy reading about our experiences as Brazilian Expats in the US.


Take care

Ray

No comments: